CrossFit Sav-Up Hero WOD
- 12 Rounds for Time
- 200 meter Run
- 7 Pull-Ups
- 8 Dumbbell Cleans (2x50/35 lb)
- 4 Handstand Push-Ups
About the wod
Background: On March 15, 2018, Deputy Ryan Zirkle of the Marion County Sheriff’s Office (MCSO) (San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA) was killed in an on-duty car accident. Ryan had worked for MCSO for 2.5 years where he spent time both in the Custody division and on Patrol.
This “Zirkle” memorial WOD was created by four members of CrossFit Sav-Up @crossfitsav_up (Petaluma, CA, USA), who were all friends and co-workers of Deputy Zirkle.
In an email with WODwell, Keith Michelucci of CrossFit Sav-Up explained the rep scheme and movements by saying:
“- 12 rounds = Deputy Zirkle’s last radio traffic was that he was 12 minutes out from the call for service that he was responding to.
– 1784 was Deputy Zirkle’s badge number.
– 1 200m run… Deputy Zirkle got dusted in a foot pursuit a few weeks before his death… he was built for sprints, not marathons.
– 7 Pull ups… Deputy Zirkle was known to frequent the pull up bar in the gym
– 8 DB cleans… The closest CrossFit movement to curls… again
– 4 Handstand push-ups… Deputy Zirkle was a multi-sport athlete, but grew up doing gymnastics and was known to do a few HSPU in full uniform.”
Keith also notes that the workout was created in Deputy Zirkle’s honor to pay respect to the “outstanding athlete, Deputy, brother, son, and friend that Ryan was. Ryan was always enthusiastic, the life of the party and a total goofball.”