Iron Roots Athlete Memorial WOD
- 3 Rounds for Time
- 81 Double-Unders
- 42 Wall Ball Shots (20/14 lb)
- 12 Deadlifts (385/275 lb)
With a running clock, perform the prescribed work in the order written for 3 rounds as fast as possible (“For Time“).
Score is the time on the clock when the last round of the Deadlifts is completed.
About the wod
Background: This memorial workout is dedicated to Tony McDade who was killed on May 27, 2020, by a Tallahassee Police Officer, the third fatal officer involved shooting in the city in 2 months.
Tony was a transgender man. He had made statements on “killing [himself] by shootout”, knowing the police would shoot before ever attempting de-escalation tactics.
According to the Tallahassee Police Department, they approached McDade on May 27, as a suspect in the fatal stabbing of Malik Jackson earlier in the day.
This workout was designed by Iron Roots Athlete @iron.roots.athlete as part of their initiative to continue fostering conversations on the progress of supporting people of color in the fitness community. It was one of the initial memorial WODs for their ‘Walk With Us: A Program Series With a Purpose.’
The rep scheme signifies:
– 81 Double-Unders for 81% of transgender people seriously consider suicide in their lifetime
– 42 Wall Ball Shots for the 425 of trans people attempt suicide once in their life
– 12 Deadlifts for at least 12 transgender or gender non-conforming people fatally shot or killed by other violent means since June 9, 2020.