“Heley de Abreu”
CrossFit Porto Seguro Memorial WOD
- For Time
- Buy-In: 74 Wall Ball Shots (20/14 lb)
- Directly into, 10 Rounds of:
- 5 Burpees
- 25 Kettlebell Swings (24/16 kg)
- 200 meter Medicine Ball Run (20/14 lb)
- Buy-Out: 17 Wall Ball Shots (20/14 lb)
With a running clock, as fast as possible perform the prescribed work. Athlete must complete the buy-in of 74 Wall Ball Shots before moving on to 10 rounds of 5 Burpees, 25 Kettlebell Swings, and 200 meter Medicine Ball Run. To complete the workout, perform the buy-out of 17 Wall Ball Shots.
Score is the time on the clock when the buy-out is completed.
About the wod
Background: This memorial workout is dedicated to teacher Heley de Abreu Silba Batista who sacrificed her own life to save her students during a school massacre in Janaúba, Brazil on October 5, 2017.
Heley got into a physical altercation with the attacker, allowing the children he had cornered in a room to escape. She ignited a fire during the fight and had ninety percent of her body burned, which ultimately led to her death. Batista saved at least 25 children.
Born in Montes Claros on August 12, 1974, Professor Heley dedicated her life to have an inclusive education even for students disabilities.
The rep scheme signifies:
– 5 Burpees for the day of the incident
– 10 rounds for the month of the tragedy
– 74 Wall Ball Shots for the year when Heley was born
– 25 Kettlebell Swings for the number of children she saved
– 17 Wall Ball Shots for the year of the tragedy
– 200 meter Run in 10 rounds for 2000 to represent the year of the incident.