“El Paso 23”
Wildfire CrossFit Memorial WOD (prev. "El Paso 22")
- 8 Rounds for Time
- 3 Power Cleans (185/125 lb)
- 23 Kettlebell Swings (53/35 lb)
- 9 Burpees
- 15 Deadlifts (185/125 lb)
- 200 meter Run
- Time Cap: 45 minutes
About the wod
Background: This memorial workout is dedicated to the victims of the El Paso (TX) mass shooting that occurred on August 3, 2019, where 24 people were injured and 22 killed.
The workout was originally called “El Paso 22.” But in April, 2020, a 23rd victim, Guillermo García, succumbed after fighting for almost 9 months. The creator of the workout, coach Bri Maynes, contacted us and asked us to edit it.
Coach Bri Maynes @bri_emem is from Wildfire CrossFit (Phoenix, Arizona, USA), where the workout was first performed on August 8, 2019. Bri, who was born and raised in El Paso, wanted to honor the victims of the shooting.
In her submission, she also noted the following:
“The significance of the rep scheme are:
– 8 rounds for the month of August
– 3 Power Cleans for the day
– 23 Kettlebell Swings for the victims (originally 22)
– 915 for the El Paso Area code
– 200m for the two nations affected”