CrossFit Dimensions Memorial WOD
- 2 Rounds for Time
- 6 Muscle-Ups
- 17 Hang Power Clean-and-Jerks (95/65 lb)
- 18 Back Rack Lunges (95/65 lb)
- 17 Handstand Push-Ups
- 33 Kettlebell Swings (53/35 lb)
- 130 Mountain Climbers (1-count)
- Buy-In: 3,200 meter Run
About the wod
Coach Rebecca from CrossFit Dimensions (East Delray Beach, FL, USA) created this WOD in memory of the mass shooting that occurred Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL, on Feburary 14, 2018.
She posted the workout on her gym’s website: “We will do a special memorial WOD tomorrow that we’ve created in light of the horrible tragedy that took place at Stoneman Douglas High School last week. Our hearts are with the students, families, staff and the entire Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School community as we all deal with this heartbreaking situation together.
We will be collecting donations for the Stoneman Douglas Victims’ Fund, benefiting victims and families. Please give any donation to the coach at the beginning or end of class. If you prefer to donate independently or show your support in other ways, here is an article listing different ways to help Stoneman Douglas families.
This will be a community workout so feel free to invite your friends and family. We will all be working hard and sweating for a together for a purpose to show our support and solidarity. There will be no drop in fee, however, we do suggest that you make a small donation which we will collectively be giving to the Stoneman Douglas Victim’s Fund.”
All of the exercises have significance in their numbers:
– 3200 = number of students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School (grades 9 through 12)
– 2 = Broward County Public Schools which MSD is a part of is the second largest school district in Florida
– 6 = number of minutes during which the shooting took place
– 17 = number of people who lost their lives in the shooting
– 18 = this was the 18th [“gunfire incident” at a school] in the US this year
– 17 = the date of the #NeverAgain rally held by student survivors
– 33 = number of public high schools in Broward county
– 130 = number of teachers employed at Stoneman Douglas
On the afternoon of February 14, 2018, a mass shooting occurred at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, in the Miami metropolitan area. Seventeen people were killed and fifteen more were taken to hospitals, making it one of the world’s deadliest school massacres. The suspected perpetrator, Nikolas Jacob Cruz, was arrested shortly afterward and confessed, according to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office. He was charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder.
The shooting lasted six minutes, after which Cruz left his rifle on the 3rd floor of the building and left the scene by blending in with fleeing students. Fourteen students and three staff members were killed and many others injured, including at least 15 who were taken to area hospitals.