TrainWaco Memorial WOD
- AMRAP (with a Partner) in 20 minutes
- Buy In:
- 150 meter Partner Carry (each)
- Partner A completes 1 round of:
- 15 American Kettlebell Swings (53/35 lb)
- 10 Burpees
- 5 Ground-to-Overheads (95/65 lb)
- While Partner B performs:
- Max Wall Ball Shots (20/14 lb)
- Partners rotate each round until team completes 150 Wall Balls
- Then, in time remaining:
- AMRAP of the 15/10/5 rep rounds above (one partner working at a time)
On a 20-minute clock, complete as many rounds and repetitions as possible (AMRAP) of the prescribed work in the order written. Once both partners have completed the 150 meter Partner Carry buy in, move on to the next component. Partner A completes 1 round of 15/10/5 while Partner B performs Wall Ball Shots. Partners rotate until 150 Wall Balls have been completed. If there is time remaining on the clock, complete the same AMRAP (15 American Kettlebell Swings, 10 Burpees, 5 Ground-to-Overheads) with one partner working at a time until the 20-minute clock stops.
Score is the total number of rounds and repetitions completed (for both partners) of the 15/10/5 before the 20-minute clock stops.
Tips and Strategy
As with any partner WOD, communication is key. Athletes should discuss things like:
– Who goes first on the Partner Carry and the 15/10/5
– How they plan to execute the Partner Carry
– How many Wall Ball Shots they should aim for per set
– Who keeps track of the total score
Partner workouts Like “Dorie” are designed to be both fun (athletes get to work together) and challenging (athletes tend to push harder with social pressure). The load on both the American Kettlebell Swings and the Ground-to-Overheads should be light enough so athletes can go unbroken. This workout is not very long, so light loads and a fast pace are necessary to accumulate rounds and reps. The load/height on the Wall Balls should be such that the athletes can do unbroken sets of 10-15 reps. Enjoy this lung-burning, leg-burning, high intensity workout!
It’s important to scale the load on “Dorie” so both athletes can move smoothly and quickly. Long rest breaks will destroy the intensity of this WOD.
150 meter Kettlebell Farmer’s Carry (each, 2×53/35 lb)
Partner A completes 1 round of:
15 American Kettlebell Swings (35/26 lb)
10 Modified Burpees
5 Ground-to-Overheads (55/35 lb)
While Partner B performs:
Max Wall Ball Shots (14/10 lb)
Partners rotate each round until team completes 100 Wall Balls
Then, in time remaining:
AMRAP of the 15/10/5 rep rounds above (one partner working at a time)
Modified Burpees: Stand in an athletic position with your core braced. Place your hands on the ground, shoulder-width apart. Step out to a plank position. Step your feet back up to your hands. Jump vertically with full hip/knee extension. Extend your arms and touch your hands overhead during the jump.
About the wod
He was also the Navy boxing champ at the time of the bombing of Pearl Harbor. He enlisted young into the only branch of the military which would take him. In addition to the Navy Cross, Doris was entitled to the Purple Heart Medal, the American Defense Service Medal, Fleet Clasp, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal and the World War II Victory Medal. “This marks the first time in this conflict that such high tribute has been made in the Pacific Fleet to a member of his race and I’m sure that the future will see others similarly honored for brave acts.” – Admiral Chester W. Nimitz
The owner of Train Waco, Jonathon Shelton, said, “The gym is always eager to honor our military veterans and first responders from the community.” Coach and event coordinator - and creator of the workout - Jared Gould said, “We hope the workout, which is free for the community to participate in, will increase awareness of the need for support of the memorial honoring the heroic acts by a Wacoan on December 7, 1941, during the attack on Pearl Harbor.”
The significance of the workout's format and rep scheme:
- Partner workout because he moved/dragged several men to a safer location while the ship was being strafed - including the ships commanding officer who was mortally wounded.
- 150m Partner Carry, 150 Wall Balls, because "15" is in reference to a quote from Dorie as having fired the 50cal deck gun (which he had no training on) for 15 minutes recording at least one enemy kill and possibly up to four.
- AMRAP at the end because after moving men during strafing, and after firing the 50 cal at enemy planes for 15 mins, because of his size/athleticism his commanding officer ordered him to save "as many men as possible" from the water as his ship was sinking.
TrainWaco @trainwaco (Waco, TX) hosted the inaugural "Dorie" workout on December 8, 2018 - as a part of the efforts of the Waco community to garner awareness and generate support for the Doris Miller Memorial. The community raised over $1.5 million dollars for the completion of a project. Doreen Ravenscroft from Cultural Arts of Waco noted, “CrossFit participants are known for pushing the limits of physical excellence just as Doris made the decision to go above and beyond as well. This is an opportunity to remember and honor Miller’s efforts in a meaningful way.”
Your feedback has been received. We really appreciate you taking the time to do that. Want to know when we make major updates? Subscribe to our monthly newsletter: https://wodwell.com/wods/subscribe/ Jeremy & Lisa WODwell